Home Photos Recent Events Notice Board Articles Our Projects Us

  Recent Events (anon)   |  index |  list |  subscribe |  login |    Thursday, January 24th   
«prev [next» fullscreen | index  
Taking the Engine out of the NG V8
OK - here is a short set of pics as I took the engine out. Probably your NG was put together differently.
The big pain is getting the radiator cowling aligned so the bonnet gaps are nice. To simplify this I have tapped some locating bolts through the cowling bracket to the radiator brackets. This is because in building the car the holes get enlarged and elongated to get the gaps right so once in place drill and tap some 4BA bolts just so the exact position can be found again.
When I built this NG (a long time ago!) I did try and make the cowling removeable as a unit with the head and spot lights, horns and wiring sub-harness that has a multi-plug. You can see this as the white bit resting on the chassing to the left of the rad in the 3rd pic.
To realign the radiator brackets I put a bit of wood across the car and some tape on the wings see pic 5. Note that my wings seem to have moved so they need tweeking later!
Not much else really just undo anything that joins to the engine. I forget the temperature sender capilary pipe and bent it a bit, it then broke off. Also when removing it from the manifold it broke in half and the end bit was left in the manifold. A bit of careful wiggling got it out without loosing it inside.
I'd recomend not leaving that bit connected as a recon gauge is about 60 pounds
script by phpblogger.com updated by 1000fluffyclouds